Family Travel Contract: Why YOU should include this in your vacation!
You are probably wondering, what is a Travel Contract?
Well, this came up one day as I was planning a trip for my sister and I to Europe. Can you think of all the times when a Family Vacation, Sister Trip, All Girls Trip, didn’t go as planned, or everyone was left fighting and not having a good time? Planning this vacation with my sister, was one of those times. Her and I know that we are siblings and do have a tendency to argue a lot. But, we didn’t want arguing or life’s problems to get in the way of having a good time! We had this awesome vacation planned out and we made it our goal to have an awesome time!! The “Sister Travel Contract” was born.
A Travel Contract: is a typed up document that involves a person(s), group (family) to sign on the “dotted” line promising to have a good time. This contract is treated just like any contract and is read, initialed at each important line/cause, and signed for all parties to agree on. The information included can be based on individual family, groups, etc. It is meant to be a FUN contract for the family or group. Just like any contract it will be used as a guideline to follow during the family trip! And, just like any contract, it CAN’T be broken! 🙂
I/We ______________________________ solemly swear that I/We will do the following on our European Adventure:
While I was writing out the contract I made it a fun and personable contract that was special to us. When drafting out a contract, think about your family, or significant other. What are some things you would like to add? Well, let’s brainstorm some ideas.
- Have FUN!! – this should definitely be the first item in your contract!
- I/We promise to have fun! It’s that EASY!
- Relax!!– Man, is that a HARD ONE! Put away the phone, don’t look at the emails, BE PRESENT!
- I/We promise to relax and put our phones away. We promise to be present!
Every time you travel to a new place, you want to try new things, RIGHT?? Well, put that in your contract for those picky eaters!
- Try Everything!!– try those pastries, try the fish, what is that fruit?? I don’t know , but TRY IT!!
- I/We promise to open up our taste buds and try new food and drinks, at least once!
Constant arguing and fighting can put a huge damper on a trip, this is where that nice promise comes in! 🙂
- NO Arguing/Fighting!!
- I/We promise to be kind to one another. We promise not to fight or argue.
When traveling to new countries, it is always important to learn the language! Here in lies, this promise.
- Learn the Language!
- I/We promise to learn some words and use them!
- Thank you
- Good Morning
- How are you?
- May I please have…?
- Where is…?
This is for those controlling types, or Type A types, who have to control every part of the trip. Up to the time that I want to get up and have a cup of tea! NO! I don’t need ya to tell me what time I need to get up, I’M ON VACATION!!! 🙂
- Let it go! Let it go…..
- I/we promise not to control everything and let it go. I/we promise to let the trip dictate what is going to happen. I/we will be ok if we don’t make it to breakfast at 0900, we will eat.
Keep work at work!
- Do not discuss work!
- I/We will not discuss anything work related! I/We are on vacation!!
Tears…Let’s talk about those moments when you want to cry. No, no tears!
- No crying!!
- I/We will not cry. Tears, are only OK, is they are shed over a gorgeous bowl of dessert! 🙂
Wait, we are missing a very important part! EVERYONE loves a complainer, RIGHT???
- Don’t complain! We are on vacation! What are you complaining about? You could be at work, or school!
- I/We will not complain. We will remind ourselves we are on a very nice vacation and are very grateful to have this opportunity!
Last, but not least. MAKE MEMORIES!
- Take LOTS of pictures!
- I/We will take lots of pictures and videos so we can have memories for years and years to come!
The RESULT: You might be asking if this contract really worked. YES, it really worked! We had an awesome time! Every time we could have fought or argued or complained we remembered that we signed our, “Sister Contract” and didn’t say a word. It was one of the best/ amazing race style trips (I will get to that one day, there is a huge group of stories involved haha) that we had because of this simple “promise to each other.”
I hope that you have enjoyed this as much as I did when I wrote it!
If you would like some help, I would love to draft one up for you. Or, you can use this guideline to help you draft one up for your trip! 🙂